right rev. mgr. philip flannigan
Mgr Philip Flannigan was ordained to the Priesthood in 1935 and spend the following three years studying in Rome.
He became Parish Priest of The Sacred Heart in 1967 succeeding Canon Heaney. Sacred Heart was his first time working in a Parish. Since 1938, the Monsignor's vocation was spent teaching at the Scots' College, Blairs and Valladolid. He came to Bellshill in 1967 from the Scots' College Rome where he had been rector since 1960.
During Monsignor's time in the Parish, the Chapel Hall was opened in May 1971 following the demolition of the old parochial hall twelve years before in 1959. Cardinal Newman High School was also officially opened during his time in Bellshill and he performed the Dedication Service having been influential in the choice of the new school's name.
In 1978, Mgr Flannigan moved to St Aloysius' Chapelhall where he served as Parish priest for five years. Monsignor died on 22nd November 1983 aged 71 and in his 48th year of Priesthood. He was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, New Stevenston.