VERY REV. JOHN B. CANON HEALY
Rev. John B. Healy was born on 20th August 1931 in Co Kerry, Ireland, and following his studies at St Kieran's Kilkenny, was ordained a Priest for the Diocese of Motherwell on 6th June 1954 in Kilkenny.
His first appointment was to St Brigid's, Newmains where he remained for 9 years before moving to St Bernadette's, Motherwell. In 1970 he moved next door to the Cathedral Parish as curate where he served until 1975 when he received his first Parish Priest appointment to Christ the King, Holytown.
Fr Healy came to the Sacred Heart in 1983 from Christ the King Holytown to succeed Fr McGurk.
During his time in Sacred Heart Parish, Fr Healy introduced morning prayers at weekday Mass and established the Children's Liturgy at Sunday Mass. He reduced Sunday Morning Mass to just two whilst reinstating the Evening Mass. Under his guidance Baptism Instruction for Parents, the RCIA, and the Renew Programmes were implemented. He also formed a Parish Social Care Group. In 1991 a major renovation of the Church took place under Father Healy's guidance.
Fr Healy left the Sacred Heart Parish in 1992 to become Parish Priest of St Serf's Airdrie where he served until his retirement in 2012. He continues to reside in the Parish of St Serf's today.
In 2001, Fr Healy was installed as a Canon of the Cathedral Chapter by Bishop Joseph Devine in Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral, Motherwell.